South of the equator and just below Madagascar, Mauritius offers paradise beaches coupled with culture and things to do.
Just 40 miles by 25 miles, this gorgeous island provides up market, all year-round paradise for tourists who are particularly attracted to its lengthy stretches of desert-island beaches, where some of the world's best hotels are situated. This one time French colony, won by the British in 1810, gained liberty in 1968 and became a republic, incorporating the island of Rodrigues. Today it is still a sugar-producing island with much of the countryside given over to fertile cane fields and of course with that comes the production of fine rum. However, it also has a big textile industry and now of course attracts tourists looking to leave their busy life behind them and soak up the Mauritius sunshine and hospitality for a few weeks every year!
Why book Mauritius with us?
- We know everything ther is to know about this fabulous destination
- Personal contacts wthin all of the hotels on Mauritius
- Celebration packages with additional benefits
- Recommendations from our customers on forums and reviews
- Great deals for special occasions, not only for you but the whole family
- Peace of mind with ATOL & ABTA protection
For those of you who want more than just a beach you can zipwire across the Black River Gorges, quad bike through the nature reserve, swim with the Dolphins or explore Port Louis with its markets, designer shops and history.
Mauritius is a fantastic fusion of cultures and religions and they have a fair number of public holidays throughout the year – all of which we know about and can make sure that your special occasion is not affected by these. All cultures are celebrated but the hotels put an emphasis on Christmas and the western New Year which is a great time to visit.
We offer a full concierge service whilst you are in Mauritius, pre-booking and arranging anything you may wish to do whilst you are on the island. We have all been there many times and are happy to share our knowledge of the island to provide you with everything you need.
With its sub-tropical climate, Mauritius is warm all year round, so there really is no best time to travel. Average temperatures rarely drop below 24 degrees Celsius, and rainfall tends to fall in short and sharp showers. However, they do have three weather seasons as follows:
- January to April – The hottest and most humid time of the year with temperatures in the low 30’s. Rainfall tends to be in heavy and short-lived showers with tail winds from anti-cyclones occurring occasionally around February.
- May to August – Cooler months in general, although day time temperatures remain warm at around 25C on average, ideal for children and those who prefer less humid climate. Due to east coast trade winds, the west coast of Mauritius is a couple of degrees warmer than the east at this time.
- September – December – Traditionally a great time to visit Mauritius, the temperatures are warmer between 27C and 30C and humidity is not at its peak.
Although a tropical island, Mauritius does not have many medical issues to worry you. Travelling from the UK there are no compulsory inoculations if you have not travelled to any high-risk countries in the past months. With all our destinations we ask you to check with your local surgery or with the World Health Organisation for the latest requirements.
For details of entry requirements for Mauritius we recommend that you check on the official GOV.UK website.
Some ideas of things for you to do whilst you are here – we have lots more tips and hidden treasures to share with you!
- Have the flexibility of exploring the island in your own way and hire a driver for the day.
- Swim with the Dolphins in their natural environment – not Disney style!
- Eat chicken wings and drink beer with the locals at the Lambic Beer Bar in Port Louis – you can even visit their microbrewery!
- Don’t just stay on the beach, Zip wire across the Black Rover Gorges or quad bike through the nature reserve for a great adventure day
- After a long flight, treat yourself to a VIP arrival experience and go straight from the aircraft to a private lounge and wait for your bags to be brought to you – you clear immigration here too, so not queueing just sit and relax with a glass of bubbly!
- Take to the skies and view the spectacular illusion of Mauritius’s underwater waterfall.